Monday, November 2, 2009

Fun Size Candy...Aka Dung Size

Hoping as I write this that the word "dung" is not offensive to the masses. How else can I describe what fun size Halloween candy did to my body this weekend? I use the word dung because honestly, the load of sugar felt like crap in my system. I asked Kevin this morning if he could help me with a play on words for "Fun Size," so I could correctly portray how horrible these little morsels of chocolate and caramel made me feel. Not only did they stop the vibrating "hum" I had worked so hard to achieve through diligent juicing and raw veggie consumption, I got back some headaches and 4 of the 11 pounds that had shed so easily. Maybe if I replace the word "fun" with "dung" every time I look at a 2-bite Snickers, I will remember not to eat it.
Just for the record, Kevin did not come up with "dung" and I am open to suggestion for a good play on words for "fun size" as a "raw food diet impediment."
So, let's talk about sugar and what it does to your body. In the Hallelujah Diet book, it describes sugar as one of the four toxins: White Sugar, White Salt, White Flour and Caffeine. Per the book, pg 122:
"A 12-ounce can of soda contains approximately 11 teaspoons of sugar. That's enough sugar to knock out the immune system's bacteria-eating white blood cells for about three hours."
So, sugar is essentially weakening our immune system and knocking out our first line of defense against germs, viruses and disease. No wonder I felt crummy! It is also pretty common knowledge that sugar leads to weight gain and being overweight can lead to diabetes. This book, only twelve pages later, goes on to describe how even just 10 pounds of extra weight can lead to diabetes. Per Dr. Fuhrman on page 134:
"A person of normal weight will produce the right amount of insulin for their body weight. However, with just ten pounds added, the extra fat will begin blocking the uptake of insulin in the cells. The pancreas will then respond by adding more insulin. With an extra 20 pounds of fat, a person might be producing one and a half times as much insulin as someone of normal weight. If they gain 30, 40 or 50 pounds of extra fat, production of insulin might go up four to five times..." "...after five to eight years, the pancreas poops out! It can't keep up with this increased amount. It's an unnaturally high demand of insulin which it cannot maintain for the rest of its life. So then it begins producing only twice as much insulin as a normal person would need, which is not enough for this person's overweight body." Dr Fuhrman goes on to say later in the chapter on pg 136 that with a Type 2 diabetic, 90 percent become non-diabetic within only 3 months of being on the Hallelujah diet. That is a staggering statistic! 90 percent!!! 9 out of 10!!!!

If you could save your life in only 3 months, would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment